Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Spring Market Pittsburgh

Kwik Rainbow Star Pillow (TKQ59) is my newest pattern. It was ready just days before market. Yes, I am KRAZY but sometimes I get inspired and I ran out of time! 

My official reason for being at Spring Market this year was to teach a Schoolhouse session for Dill Button Company. I made lots of different samples for them including this awesome star. I made the Star from my new pattern Kwik Rainbow Star Pillow (didn't do the pillow part) and then covered it with a sheer fabric (think curtain sheers) and quilted it. I added DecorBond to the front and the back fabric as well as batting. I was able to spray baste the sheer layer to keep it from moving around and quilted it with straight lines 1/2" apart. Sewing the buttons on took about 1 1/2 hours per color section. I did not try hide my threads and just traveled my thread from button to button. Once the buttons were all on I used Steam a Seam and fused another piece of fabric to cover all the thread showing on the back. Then I put the binding on. All of the interfacing and layers kept the buttons from being to heavy. 



 The Schoolhouse Session seemed to be a success even though I think I sounded like an idiot! The sample below was used as a giveaway by Dill. I was able to put the center circle on with a raw edge as the buttons covered the edges. I did simple outline quilting around the petals to make them pop and a circular design in the center. I did hide my threads when sewing the buttons on this sample.

As much fun as the Schoolhouse was for me, the real reason I went to market was to meet all my Instagram friends (AKA the IG Mafia as one of my Bff's calls them!) I made my Kwik Scrappy Totebag (TKQ14) the night before I left (we have already established I am krazy) and added my new logo to it so that people might pick me out of the crowd.
 

It worked, and I met so many fabulous friends! If you want to see pictures of them all check out my IG feed ( @Karie_TwoKwikQuilters ) My favorite/most embarrassing moment is when I saw someone who looked familiar behind me on the escalator. I waited for her and then told her she she looked familiar, and asked if I knew her and was she on Instagram....she said yes so I asked what her IG name was. She said "Tula Pink" I felt like such an idiot...I was so embarrassed that I didn't dare ask for a picture! She did notice my Selvage Shoes that my daughter made from a tutorial by Michelle of Firetrail Designs. My advice to all is that if you are going to stick your foot in your mouth, make sure you are wearing great shoes!


That is all for now,
Karie

3 comments:

  1. So even the very famous look like regular quilters on an n escalator...that would be my story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You are so cute! I'm sure your schoolhouse was great. I am still giggling about the whole Tula Pink thing;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. selvage shoes?!? are you kidding me? you are a.w.e.s.o.m.e.

    ReplyDelete