Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Kayleigh's New Camera Bag



Kayleigh bought her first "big girl" camera...Nikon P530. It is still a "point and shoot" camera but is a great camera for her to use for making dance movies for her classes next year. A new camera means a new bag....we could have purchased a bag for less than $25.00 but who wants a generic black bag???? 



I played with the box that the camera came in for over an hour analyzing how it could be done and the best way to do it. She wanted a cross body style that could hold the camera, her phone, her wallet or credit card and of course SD cards and extra batteries. I have tons of zippers in a variety of different ways.....I have written directions for at least 3 different ways in various patterns but I have never done a zipper around a curve so that was my major dilemma but I figured it out! I quilted it with 2 layers of Annie's Soft and Stable so that there would be plenty of cushioning. I did 1/4" quilting but I would use 1/2" if i did it again so that it wasn't as compressed. I also used a layer of DecorBond on both the outside pieces. 

After quilting I added loops with "D" rings so I could clip on the strap. I recycled the hardware off an old Vera Bradly laptop bag I have...LOL  


I added pockets on the lining side for all the things she may want to store. 




I zigzagged the raw edges and sewed the sides and bottom with 1/2" seam allowance. I may add binding to cover the seams though because they bother me....but we will see if that ever really happens!
She has a cool camera strap coming from my friend Keri  at The Quilted Valkyrie and there will be plenty of room for it in this bag.

  I am sure as Kayleigh starts actually carrying it she will have suggestions of what to do different for her next case but for now.....this one turned out pretty awesome....at least in my opinion! In the mean time, I will still be taking pictures with my iPhone. 


Till next time
Karie

1 comment: